The Art of Catering Food Conference 2014
We recently had the privilege of sponsoring the Art of Catering Food Conference hosted by the International Caterers Association (ICA) and Catersource. If you are unfamiliar with the conference, it is mostly dedicated to culinary training and industry trends. There were over 500 chefs in attendance eager for a jolt of innovation from world-class caterers.
Even though Total Party Planner was there as a catering software sponsor, I was completely caught up in all the excitement of the impressive demonstrations and tastings. To say my palate was pleased is an understatement.
Just a sample of the many highlights that the conference offered were:
- Using the science of combining chemical elements to create robust flavors
- Unique and trendy appetizers
- Blending sweet and savory elements in all aspects menu creation
- Tours of 3 of the largest catering facilities in Atlanta
- Inventory control systems
- A look into the crystal ball of where culinary trends are heading
- BOH costing vs FOH selling
- Charcuterie trending appetizers
- Scallops: The OTHER shellfish
- A wickedly delicious evening extravaganza combining food stations of various artistic themes
- Pairing craft beers (a hot new trend) with foods
If that wasn’t enough, the featured presenter was Kevin Gillespie – contender on Top Chef season 6 and owner of The Gun Show in Atlanta. Kevin’s story of creating a restaurant around family stories and values literally inspired people to a standing ovation at the end. If you want to read more about Kevin, check out his website. We could (and just may!) dedicate an entire blog to Kevin.
For me, the ultimate highlight was introducing Executive Chef Adam Gooch of Purple Onion Catering before he presented his topic Sweet Meet Savory, Savory Meet Sweet. Being a long time user of Total Party Planner catering software, I was honored to introduce him and summarize his tremendous achievements in the culinary realm.
To learn more about the Art of Catering Food, you can visit the Catersource website.
If you attended The Art of Catering Food and have a personal favorite or story, please share it with us!